Subject: Re: Having trouble booting DEC3000/400 from netBSD ISO image
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew van de Werken <mvdw73@dingoblue.net.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/14/2001 22:44:21
On 14 Aug 2001 08:17:24 +0200, Markus W Kilbinger wrote:

>     Matthew> I've burnt the 1.5.1 alpha CD (using winOnCD), reads fine
>     Matthew> in my Linux box. However, when I try to boot my DEC
>     Matthew> 3000/400 with it, I get:
>
>     Matthew> AUDIT_BOOT_STARTS ...
>
>     Matthew> ? 7_ERR_SCSI - CHECK_MEDIA/DEVICE
>
>     Matthew>   84 FAIL
>
>     Matthew> Any ideas? I don't even know if the CD drive works, so
>     Matthew> maybe that's the problem, or there could be another
>     Matthew> hardware fault with the machine (I've never actually
>     Matthew> booted it into *anything*).
>
> As I can remember (it's some months ago ;-)) I had similar problems
> with cdrom booting our DEC 3000 - M300X (Does it make a difference?).
> So I managed to get it booted via network. Do you have the appropriate
> network scenario for that?
>
> Markus.

Thanks Markus.

I don't have it set up at the moment, but I can "make it so". I have a
linux box as my main machine (I can feel the stony glares of 1000
*BSD-heads), so I can make it an NFS/bootp/tftp server as required. I've
never done it before, but I'm trying to get the alpha going for fun, not
profit, so it's all good.

Cheers,
MvdW