Subject: Re: inn 2.3.1 work for anyone?
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/11/2001 15:10:37
On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 03:26:36PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <20010811002211.A7854@tome.neutralgood.org>,
> 	"Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com> writes:
> > Does inn 2.3.1 work for anyone?
>
> Yes, but on an i386 not an alpha system.

I posted to port-alpha and not current-users for a reason.

> > I had 2.2.3 running fine but I can't get 2.3.1 to let me successfully post.
>
> Did you rebuild the history after updating to 2.3.1?

Yes.

I even started from scratch with a brand new install (including a
brand new /var/news). I got the server up and running with minimal
changes to the config files. I added a misc.test group.

Posts to this misc.test group appear in the spool. If I exit my newsreader
(slrn) and run it again it says there is a new post to misc.test. If I
then try to read the new post I get beeped at with slrn telling me
there are no new posts. A ktrace of slrn and the server shows that
the server tells slrn the correct highest article number but will not
send the overview data.

When I make a post the overview data files change, so I know they are
getting posts to some extent. Yet inn will never tell clients the
overview information.

No errors are logged. No warnings are logged. No unexpected program
terminations occur. It just doesn't work.

Now, has anyone had any better luck on an Alpha?
           On the community of supercomputer fans:
"But what we lack in size we make up for in eccentricity."
  from Steve Gombosi, comp.sys.super, 31 Jul 2000 11:22:43 -0600