Subject: RE: How's MySQL doing?
To: 'James Sharp' <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Haapanen, Tom <tomh@metrics.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/09/2001 13:31:18
I suspect I was the originator of these rumours.  :-)

We gave up on this about a year an a half ago -- this was with 1.4, and
MySQL 3.23 (20 or less).  Couldn't get it to work at all, but I think
MySQL's weak 64-bit support was the main culprit.

We then ran our production site for about a year on NetBSD 1.4/i386.  This
worked OK, more or less, but with increasing traffic, the MySQL server was
crashing 4-5 times an hour.  All kinds of MySQL updates, compile and config
options were tried, but to no avail.  And there is no traceback on NetBSD...

So last month I finally gave up, and rebuilt the machine with FreeBSD/i386,
and it's now been rock-solid -- I think MySQL has restarted only once in a
month.  I really suspect this is an issue with the NetBSD thread libraries
and the way MySQL uses them, but I have no hard facts to back that up.

The web server itself (http://www.motorsport.com/) and our other machines
still run NetBSD, though.

Tom Haapanen
tomh@motorsport.com