Subject: Out of Space in kmem_map?
To: NetBSD/Alpha <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Dorsey <dorsey@lila.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/07/2001 10:09:28
Hi,

I'm getting panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map on my NetBSD/Alpha -
1.5.1 system.  In earlier kernels, there was an option to increase the
number of mbufs available to the kernel (NKMEMCLUSTERS).  Looks like
things have changed under 1.5.  In the options(4) man page, I see
NKMEMPAGES, NKMEMPAGES_MIN, and NKMEMPAGES_MAX.  Looks like the _MIN
and _MAX values are set to 8M and 128M respectively for the Alpha.  I
don't set NKMEMPAGES explicitly in my kernel config, so I guess it's
being auto-sized.  The vmstat -m command shows 2687K/3336K kernel
memory usage on a freshly rebooted kernel.  3336K is only 417 pages.
Is that a safe number, or is it worth raising?  I guess if there's a
memory leak, I'll just be postponing the inevitable, so I'm going to
keep an eye on the kernel memory usage in the interim.

--
Bill Dorsey