Subject: Re: DEC 3000/400 Serial Port Question
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/12/2001 22:58:37
> Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:49:52 -0500 (CDT)
> From: "T. Martin" <catfish@alltel.net>
> Subject: Re: DEC 3000/400 Serial Port Question
>
> The serial port is the same as the 3000/300, its either 9600 max or 19200,
> but stil its not fast enough to take a 56k modem, I had the same thought
> till I sorted through the programmers guide.
> Terry

Note -- for what it's worth.  External modems will adapt to the serial
rate that the computer sends to them.  So the 56k modem will work on
the 9600 or 19200 serial port.  It just won't work at full speed.
The modem-to-modem flow control will throttle the data stream back to
the speed that the serial port can handle.

    carl
--
        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu