Subject: Re: JDK
To: Mike Welsh <mikewe@teleport.com>
From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@tampabay.rr.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/30/2001 17:11:52
Mike Welsh wrote:

> I've been trying to find a JDK to work on my NetBSD Alpha box.  When I
> try to install the package from /usr/pkgsrc/lang/jdk, I get the
> following message:
>
> > make
> ===> jdk-1.1.8 is not available for NetBSD-1.5-alpha
>
> There must be a port of this or some source code somewhere that I can
> build?

I believe the native JDK 1.1.8 for NetBSD is only available for i386.

Sun is rather strict about the source for JDK, so from what I can tell,
someone kindly signs up to obtain the source, works very very hard to
port the code to the OS/platform and then provides a binary only release
as per the source licensing agreement.

I think I understood Sun even tightened up on doing that with 1.2 and
beyond (i.e. you must do more to release even binary) but do not know
for sure.

I do see on the javasoft web site (i.e. Sun) that Compaq does have an
alpha port of jdk but you likely need Tru64.  It would be quite a testament
to the OSF/1 compat code if it worked on NetBSD...

-- Ken