Subject: Re: AXPpci-33 memory question
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Alan Poston <poston@totalarchive.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/28/2001 18:41:55
Actually, John Lekashman gave me a bunch of memory to upgrade the
Multias, I'm pretty sure (but its been a few years now) that I
put 2 64MB SIMMs in each one (there may have been one or two that
I missed as they were already distributed to people).  In any event,
most of the Multias exhibited heat related problems of one kind or
another, plus a few arrived with broken parts (you could hear things
rattle around inside the box, if you opened it up, you could see that
some solder joints had broken free).  Anyway, I combined parts from
various different broken models to put together as many working ones
as I could, and then John was to return the few now massively broken
Multias for replacement... but I suspect that they were never replaced
as the company that was unloading them on consignment from DEC went
out of business.

I still have a now broken one that I bought myself... anyone willing
to pay for the shipping is welcome to it (if I can find it).

This has to be at least 5 years ago now... right?

-Alan

P.S. It's possible that I'm not remembering correctly, and John gave me
2 32 MB SIMMs for the things, as opposed to 64 MB SIMMs, he might
remember.