Subject: Re: AXPpci-33 memory question
To: 'port-alpha@netbsd.org' <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/28/2001 19:46:47
On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 12:15:21PM -0400, David Woyciesjes wrote:
> Has anyone had any luck using 16x36 (64MB) memory in the AXPpci-33 (a.k.a.
> NoName)?

Isn't the board spec'd out to max at 256MB? I think it is. The
AlphaStation 200 4/233 maxes out at 384MB (6 slots vs 4), and I think
they use the same memory.

I think I remember reading on comp.sys.dec about how the AS 200 at
least can be a bit picky about the sticks it accepts. It seems some
64MB sticks are just ever so slightly out of spec and are only accepted
as 8MB sticks. The NoName may be particular as well.

BTW, is anyone else's NoName particular in general? I've got an
53c875 wide board installed in mine. I have two (was three, oh well)
wide drives attached externally with a very short Sun-branded cable.
I'm using a scsipro.com terminator. When boot the machine I have to
turn on power to the NoName and the external drives at the exact
same time. Otherwise the external drives won't work, either not
showing up at all or appearing to work only to choke and spew at
run time. If I touch the external cable and move it ever so slightly
then the machine will not boot.

Plus when I halt the video isn't handed back to the SRM correctly and
I can't see what I'm typing. Also, halt doesn't halt, but that might
be an SRM thing. I can't check when I halt because I can't see
what I'm typing, and usually I'm just trying to get the box back up
quickly because the local power company decided to remind me just how
bad they are.

Uh. Sorry. I think I need another piece of fudge. Bye now.

Seen on bottom of IBM part number 1887724:
DO NOT EXPOSE MOUSE PAD TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.