Subject: Re: Slightly Off-Topic...
From: Paul A Vixie <vixie@mfnx.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/26/2001 08:19:50
> Good point.  Also, that is why we lesser hobby types can run a VAX forever,
> and the same is not true of the average PeeCee.  The robustness of the
> technology is what makes the difference.  Time will tell whether Intel
> can handle that at the same level.

Intel can't, and in any case does not want to.  Wintel has two marketing goals:

	1. get you to buy the newest fastest fanciest toy
	2. see #1

Any computer you can use for more than a year is a mistake from Wintel's point
of view.  It means, to them, that they failed to bring out software that makes
your old hardware too slow or incompatible to be used any more.

Processors are a recurring revenue source to Intel, just as licenses are a
recurring revenue source to Microsoft.  Recurring means they want you to buy,
and buy, and buy again.

With DEC (both Alpha and VAX lines), the hardware and licenses were a one-time
revenue source.  They hoped that customers would keep the stuff for decades,
possibly upgrading processor or memory but if not that was OK too.  Their
recurring revenue came from support (hardware and software).  Two Lessons:

	1. "Sexy sells"
	2. if you build it too well, the aftermarket doesn't need your support