Subject: Re: Slightly Off-Topic...
To: NetBSD Vax Port <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Seefried <ken@seefried.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/26/2001 01:30:57
Brian Hechinger writes:

> given the current crop of CPUs that are available.  which would you all choose
> to base a computer around?  i've been toying with the idea of making large
> servers based on the latest VME technology for a backplane.  maybe now is the
> time to look at that again.  NetBSD was the OS of choice as well.  :)

[ I assume you mean VME64, which tortures the definition of "latest" a bit ]

Depends on the criteria.  I would say:

 - Relatively low cost
 - Relatively high performance
 - Relatively reliable supply
 - Sophisticated and varied busses and other expansion
 - Abundant, low-cost or free and varied development tools
 - Abundant and varied reference designs
 - Abundant and varied support chips
 - Abundant pool of knowledgable labour

Since you said VME, we can despense with and low-power criteria.

Hmm...sounds like Intel.  Much less so SPARC & PPC.  Maybe a little bit MIPS
or ARM.  Life can suck.

Ken Seefried, CISSP