Subject: Re: Multia netbooting NetBSD 1.5 troubles
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Ediger <eballen1@qwest.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/12/2001 15:41:35
I wrote:

> I've got a Multia (166MHz Alpha CPU, 32 Mb memory), firmware version
> 3.5-7 according to the "ARC" thing, I think that SRM said something
> similar.  Currently, the Multia runs Red Hat 5.0 (Linux kernel 2.0.30),
> so I'm pretty sure that all the hardware works.  I booted RH 5.0
> after trying to get NetBSD 1.5 going, so I haven't fubared anything too
> bad.
> Both kernels say "stray isa irq 4" and then appear to lock up.
>
> How do I fix this?

The answer is "Use NetBSD 1.4.3". Apparently, NetBSD 1.5 doesn't deal
with serial port interrupts correctly. See:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-bugs/2000/10/12/0005.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-alpha/2000/12/03/0007.html

Using an older OS doesn't bother me, particularly since this is an older
computer (the Multia has a firmware rev dating to 1994).  NetBSD 1.4.3
is positively modern compared to the Red Hat 5.0/Linux 2.0.30 that's on
it now.