Subject: pax install problems
To: None <port-alpha@mail.netbsd.org>
From: Marc Mackey <mackey@mackey.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/09/2001 19:40:45
Can anybody help with this problem?  I'm having a heckuva time installing
NetBSD on an alpha PW 500a.  I've tried many different distributions, 1.5,
1.5V, and 1.5.2beta2, and a downloaded iso image (1.5).  All return the same
problem- the boot disks work fine, installation starts great, disks are
partitioned and formatted, and the binary sets begin to unpack, displaying
the files on the screen.  But, the pax archive stops, as if the .tgz file is
incomplete or corrupt.  The following is the exact screen when the install
dies:

------------------------
Command: pax -zrvpe -f /mnt2//alpha/binary/sets/base.tgz

./usr/share/misc/domains
./usr/share/misc/flowers
.
.<several lines of extracted files and an invalid header error>
.
./usr/share/misc/zipcodes
pax: Invalid header. Starting valid header search
gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
pax: end of archive volume 2 reached
pax: ustar vol2, 1089 files, 60733472 bytes read, 0 bytes written in 400 sec
(151833 bytes/sec)

ATTENTION: pax archive volume change required. Ready for archive volume: 2
Input archive name or "." to quit.
Archive name>

I'm new to NetBSD so any help anybody could provide would be appreciated.

thanks!
Marc
bsd@mackey.org