Subject: AXPpci 33 166MHz Mobo & parity RAM?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@del.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/02/2001 22:48:33
    I recently picked up an AXPpci 33 mobo and tossed it in an old AT tower
case, my first Alpha. I've got just about everything figured out, except for
the RAM and cache. My searches for decently priced 36 bit parity RAM at 70ns
or faster has been pretty fruitless, except for the $60 for 4x8MB auctions
on Ebay (two of them), and retailers asking ~$120 for 2x32MB. Anyone have
any leads on where to find some RAM?
     I haven't looked for cache, but I should probably be able to find
something through DigiKey or some such mail order catalog.
    I have a few unknown 72 pin RAM chips with 12 chips on them, 8 of one
type and four of another, but right now I just see the video BIOS message
printed on the screen, it clears and then I get a blue screen with a
flashing cursor. I'm guessing that means it doesn't understand the RAM
because it's probably ECC and not parity. I've tried serial console, an
Orchid Kelvin, and a Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM. Any tips/pointers/ideas?

    Chris