Subject: how much memory can I cram in?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/25/2001 10:11:21
--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

I'm spec'ing out a system that would build huge (50GB-500GB) hash
tables in memory.  We're thinking we'll need to partition the data
across several machines, because we don't want to buy iron quite
*that* big.  So, I need a machine that can take a bunch of memory, has
a low-latency network interface, and a reasonably fast processor.  I
get the impression that I'd spend less money on alphas than on
sparc64s, but that's about the limit of my guesswork here.

Would anybody care to make recommendations on an alpha that can take a
bunch of RAM?

Chris

--=20
Chris Jones                                          Mad scientist at large
  www.netbsd.org www.postgresql.org www.schemers.org www.python.org

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1--