Subject: Re: SCSI performance
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/23/2001 08:28:22
On Wed, 23 May 2001, Toru Nishimura wrote:

=> I started using 1.5V -current kernel for DEC3000/300 and noticed
=> system I/O performance has been boosted over all.  I keep using the
=> same hardware nearly 4 years and it runs fastest this time as long
=> as I can rememeber.  Most impressing is SCSI read.  /sbin/dump of 5
=> member RZ28 ccd filesystem marked 1040 KB/s when output was distined
=> to /dev/null.  I consider to add another TC SCSI card for it to take
=> dragging slow 4mm DAT backup drive out of builtin TCDS channel.

The other great thing I noticed about the newer kernels is that my clock
no longer drifts a lot.  Before, the drift was on the order of tens of
seconds per day (adjusting via ntpdate).  Now, it is on the order of
*tenths* of a second over the same period!

Once again, NetBSD developers please take a bow!

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa