Subject: Re: Anyone know what a DEC 881 alpha is?
To: Nigel Reed <nigel@nelgin.nu>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/16/2001 02:13:02
> Would it be this thing?
> http://www4.service.digital.com/support_database/HG881WUA.PDF
>
> On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 01:47:16AM -0400, NetBSD Bob wrote:
> > I picked up a 5 buck small server chassis that seems to be some kind of
> > alpha or maybe intel box, not sure yet.  It has 64mb of ram and 4x1g
> > storageworks drives.  I could not tell what the processor was exactly,
> > but it indicated 590 somethingorother when hooked up to a vga monitor.
> > A normal pc keyboard did not seem to work on it, and it stalled on
> > boot with cache 180 errors.  The model numbers apear to be, from the
> > back label, 881WW and KA508TEBRS.  Anyone know what this thing actually
> > is, and what flavor of NetBSD it is most likely to run?  Heck, for 5
> > bucks, I couldn't let the critter get crushed.

That looks a lot like it.  YUK.. I see MSDOS listed in that pdf.
It is not one of those Gatesware things is it?

Which NetBSD supports it, if any?  I see it has dual processor
capability, but I think mine has only one processor.

It seems to be halting in the setup, so that makes me think it might
have lost its nvram or battery.

I will take it to the i386 list, and see if they can tell me more.

Thanks

Bob