Subject: Re: DEC 3000/600
To: None <Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it>
From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/11/2001 10:27:57
Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it writes:

 > I just got a  DEC 3000/600
 >
 > When it starts up the monitor display a sort of graphic tests then nothing
 > happens I Expect to see hte SRM console prompt but the block white
 > cursor goes in the lower left corner and nothing happens even if I type
 > on the keyboard. Anyone could suggest me anything ??

It sounds like the console may be set to serial, so you may have to
connect up a serial terminal -- I've forgotten if the turbochannel
alphas will do console I/O from/to a source other than their current
console.

 > THen how is this workstation?? is it better or worse than dec3000/300 ??
 > thanks

It should be quite a bit better that a 3000/300.

FWIW, you probably want to take freebsd-alpha off your CC list for
issues with this machine.  We don't support the SCSI contoller or the
graphics / keyboard console on turbochannel machines.  NetBSD does a
far better job of device support on these boxes.

Drew