Subject: AlphaPC164 net performance closure (Re: 1.5.1 SPL0 fix??)
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/19/2001 22:38:04
Eric Schnoebelen writes:
- 	Well, having applied the patch, I can say that it
- doesn't help the network/disk-io problem I've seen and others
- have reported.
-
- 	Problem summary:
- 		With simultaneous disk and network IO, the
- 		network IO is about 6kbp/sec.
-
- 	System Description:
- 		AlphaPC164/500Mhz, 64Mb RAM, IDE disk
- 		Intel EtherExpress Pro/100+ (fxp)
- 		NetBSD 1.5.1_BETA kernel

	I thought I'd report closure on the above problem.  I
was heading down the hardware problem route, and in the process
of reducing the CPU clock speed, I noticed that the system
clock divisor (IRQ3-IRQ0) were set 366Mhz instead of the 500Mhz
the CPU (and oscillator) were doing.

	In some respects, its a wonder the bleeding thing ran at
all. (and I wonder how I managed to miss that in building the
box??)

	Thank you for everyone's help and assistance..

(oh, I'm now seeing ~400kbp/sec from dump over a 10baseT-fdx
network.)
--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
    "I'm going to a commune in Vermont and will deal with no unit of time