Subject: PWS 433a Ethernet problem?
To: 'port-alpha@netbsd.org' <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Haapanen <tomh@metrics.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/13/2001 23:10:03
About a month ago I emailed about a problem installing NetBSD onto a PWS
433a from floppy and/or CD.  Couldn't resolve those, despite help from
several people.  and then spent most of the next month out of the office.

But today I took the machine to the office, set up TFTP and NFS, and
successfully netbooted using the built-in 21142 (I think).  Installed NetBSD
1.5 over FTP.  Did the basic configuration etc., and the shut it down and
hauled it home.

And that's where my trouble comes in.  At the office we have switched
full-duplex 100baseT to the desktop, but at home I'm running just an old
3Com 10baseT hub.  And I can't get the de0 NIC to work any more!

I use
    ifconfig de0 inet 209.x.y.z netmask 0xffffffe0 media 10baseT/UTP
and there are no apparent error messages, either on the console or on the
syslog -- put I can't ping anything other than the card's own IP address.
After 10 or so packets, I'll just start getting "host is down" responses.

I tried configuring ewa0 in SRM to either "Auto-Detect" or "10baseT
Twisted-Pair", but no difference.  The default route is configured
correctly.  The link light is on, but I can't get any action, no matter how
many times I try to fiddle with things, bring the interface down, or even
reboot the system

I have a feeling I am missing something very obvious here, but I fear I'll
soon go bald if I keep pulling my hair out at this rate.

Can anyone suggest what I might have missed?

-----
Tom Haapanen -- Software Metrics -- Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Advanced Printing Solutions -- http://www.metrics.com/