Subject: Re: 1.5.1 SPL0 fix??
To: <>
From: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/13/2001 17:31:31
Eric Schnoebelen writes:
- I'd like to try out the SPL0 fix that was described a few days
- ago, but it hasn't shown up in the anonymous CVS repository
- yet..  Someone mentioned that it was originally done on 1.5.x.
- Can I get a patch for it, to see if it clears up the
- disk/networking performance problem I'm seeing on my PC164?

	Well, having applied the patch, I can say that it
doesn't help the network/disk-io problem I've seen and others
have reported.

	Problem summary:
		With simlutainous disk and network IO, the
		network IO is about 6kbp/sec.

	System Description:
		AlphaPC164/500Mhz
		64Mb RAM
		IDE disk
		Intel Etherexpress Pro/100+ (fxp)
		NetBSD 1.5.1_BETA kernel

	Are folks with AlphaStation 500 & 600's, AlphaServer 800 &
1000's, Digital Personal Worstations (Miata's) and AlphaPC164*'s
seeing this problem?? (I remember another report of an
AlphaPC164LX having he problem.)

	All of these systems have the "cia" iobus..

	How do I go about setting the available tunables on the
"cia" bus (there are several documented in the source.. My guess
is adb, er, gdb on the kernel to change the settings..:-)

	FYI: my AlphaPC64's do wonderfully on network IO..

	Thanks,
		Eric

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
	"Any field of study that has 'science' as part of it's name