Subject: Re: Cross-compilation (sort of)
To: None <wonko@tmok.com>
From: Bucketmouth Frogstump <bucketmouthfrogstump@hotmail.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/06/2001 11:50:19
> > There are some DS10s in the office, but they're all running RedHat
> > and nobody can spare me one as a NetBSD box. :(

>that's too bad, keep nagging them, they want to be running NetBSD anyway.
>:)

It's the Compaq compilers that they're using RedHat for ... actually, now
Compaq has NetBSD in their TestDrive program, maybe they'll port their
lovely compilers over. I've got a shot at converting people to NetBSD if I
can supply a good Fortran 90 compiler.

>setting up a cross-compiler tends to be a gigantic pain in the ass.

I suspected as much ... :)

>however, in my limited experience if you avoid crossing the >endian-ness
>you tend to have less trouble.  are alphas big?

That's why I was thinking it might be easier to compile on an Alpha running
a different OS, rather than the same OS on a different architecture.

>i forget.  anyway, grab a source distro of GCC and you will find a
> >cross-compiling setup doc in there.  it isn't the best doc
>in the world, but in the worst case it should get you asking better
> >questions that we can answer for ya.

It has always been my goal in life to ask better questions. :) Thank you for
the pointers.