Subject: Re: Web browsers for DEC Alpha 3000/M300LX?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Bucketmouth Frogstump <bucketmouthfrogstump@hotmail.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/28/2001 10:50:41
>I was thinking we had X support for the turbochannel boxes in NetBSD-1.5
>alpha? (Yes/No?).......
>
>In 10 lines or less,... ,``How does I get there?''

If you're running 1.5 stock standard, as opposed to current, the X server
won't work. There was a patch at some later point - I forget when exactly,
but it's all detailed on this list somewhere. :)

As far as quick fixes go, there's a binary compiled from patched X sources
at:

ftp://discord.maths.monash.edu.au/pub/netbsd/XalphaNetBSD.gz

Unzip that, drop it into /usr/X11R6/bin and X should fire up.

Of course, I believe that -current now includes XFree86 4.0.x code. I have
no idea if that works on the 3000 console. Has anyone tested it? I really
don't fancy compiling X on a 3000 again ...

Oh, and apologies to anyone I owe an email to right now ... I've been unwell
and really busy. Horrible combination, that. I'll get to it, I promise.