Subject: X for tga
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: schaecsn <schaecsn@gmx.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/25/2001 01:02:08
Hi,

Since recently I do own an alpha 200/4 100 computer. The first step was
deleting the preinstalled linux ;-).

(1) Unfortunately, the X server doesn't work for me. The graphics card
and monitor did a good job under linux. This should imply that they must
also work under netbsd (same XFree source, I guess).

booting says:
tga0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0: DC21030 step C, board type T8-02
tga0: 1284 x 1024, 8bpp, Bt485 RAMDAC
tga0: interrupting at isa irq 10
wsdisplay0 at tga0: console (std, vt100 emulation)

the monitor is a dec vrc 21 - HA

When starting X under netbsd I can "recognize" the screen, but
everything is very distorted. A timing problem, I guess. There are no
(intel-pc like) Xconfig files, aren't there?

Any help?

(2) The text console doesn't occupy all the space on the monitor but
just a small percentage. My 21" monitor looks now like a 14" monitor. Is
there a way to enlarge the viewable area?

(3) oh, what about emacs on these machines. The binary from
ftp.netbsd.org works, but compiling it by myself from scratch dies with
Dumping under names emacs and emacs-20.7.1
emacs: Couldn't find segment next to .bss in
/usr/local/compile/emacs-20.7/src/temacs
make[1]: *** [emacs] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/compile/emacs-20.7/src'
make: *** [src] Error 2
I have never seen this before. How come?

(4) To be honest, I am a little bit disappointed by the speed of this
machine. First impression, it behaves like a pentium with 40MHz (judeing
by meassuring compilation speed of the joe editor under alpha and
intel-pc). In particular the harddrive behaves like a floppy drive. very
very slow. is this probably because of a slow harddrive, or is it
because of - god forbid - netbsd, or because of the alpha design? It's
SCSI, I guess.

(5) are folks happy with the elf linker? right now I am not really
convinced. most configure scripts know nothing about -rpath. often it's
easy to fix, but some larger packages aren't that easy to convince that
-L isn't enough.

comments are welcome. As you might guess, (1) is my biggest concern!

Cheers
- Stefan

--
   ___  ___       __         |   Name: Stefan Schäckeler
  /  / /  /____  (__)__  ___ | E-mail: schaecsn@gmx.de