Subject: Re: NoName and cache
To: None <jc@joerch.org, mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/19/2001 08:58:02
> Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 12:37:41 +0100 (CET)
> From: Joerg Czeranski <jc@joerch.org>
> To: mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA
> Subject: Re: NoName and cache
>
> der Mouse wrote:
> > I've got a NoName, 16MB RAM (4x4M), and its speed is comparable to or
> > perhaps a bit slower than my SPARCs' (doing a "make build" with
> > comparable disk drives).
> >

> Of course with a mere 16MB RAM it might be quite different,
> especially as gcc really wants a lot of RAM.
> I think you should first try to install enough RAM to prevent paging
> before you think about cache.
>
> Unfortunately, 36-bit PS/2 SIMMs are rare and therefore rather expensive.

I guess it depends on what your expectations are.

32MB 72-pin true-parity SIMMs seem to go for about $1/MB on the eBay
auction these days.  This is cheap compared to the $40/MB that I
remember paying for SIMMs a few years ago.  And really cheap compared
to the $0.50/byte that was once the standard price for core memory.

    carl

        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu
                                                  clowenstein@ucsd.edu