Subject: uhm, what's this all about?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/09/2001 11:38:55
i came home for lunch today, tapped shift on my VT510 to get it out of
screensaving mode and was greeted by the following:

First bad, reclen=6f72, DIRSIZ=128, namlen=116, flags=1000 entryoffsetinblock=0
/usr: bad dir ino 20 at offset 0: mangled entry
panic: bad dir
Stopped in pid 8821 (find) at   cpu_Debugger+0x4:	ret	zero,(ra)
db>

machine is a stock (no X) install of the 20010224 snapshot.  had ssh installed
and daemon started, and i haven't touched it since then (around 10pm last night)

db> trace
cpu_Debugger() at cpu_Debugger+0x4
panic() at panic+0xfc
ufs_dirbad() at ufs_dirbad+0x58
ufs_lookup() at ufs_lookup+0x36c
VOP_LOOKUP() at VOP_LOOKUP+0x40
lookup() at lookup+0x3d0
namei() at namei+0x3fc
change_dir() at change_dir+0x2c
sys_chdir() at sys_chdir+0x44
syscall_plain() at syscall_plain+0x12c
XentSys() at XentSys+0x5c
--- syscall (12) ---
--- user mode ---
db>

ok, i'm hooking the console up to my workstation first thing so i can cut and
paste, that sucked.  :)

here is my theory (i could be 100% incorrect since i don't really know what
i'm talking about, dammit jim, i'm an admin not a kernel developer)

i don't fully trust the disklabel info i found for the rz26l.  besides being
a flaming piece of dreck, it is very hard to find authorative info on this
thing.  if anyone has 100% "correct" disklabel info please let me know. newfs
whines about this that and the other when it's making filesystems on this thing.

could a slightly incorrect disklabel cause this to happen??  if so i'm just
gonna go find another disk and stop wasting my time with this stupid thing.

any help would be apprieciated.

thanks,

-brian

ps: if anyone needs more info please tell me what to suply you with and how to
aquire it.