Subject: Re: what do you do with your Alpha 3000/300*
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/09/2001 08:34:46
On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Hyung-song Nam wrote:

=> ok folks,
=> Again, somewhat OT question: For what purpose do you use your 300*
=> "work"station? Mine's running 1.5 and X well, but I can't seem to
=> find any use for it

Aside from a DECstation 3100 and ~2 486 PeeCees that were dumped on me
by folks who were going to throw them away, my DEC 3000/300 is the only
home machine I have.  It is a great little workhorse!  I use it for
programming, e-mail, WWW browsing, LaTeX, CD writing, home finance and
generally as a test bed for anything I need to learn about.  I would use
it for my statistical analysis needs, too, if the floating point were
fixed. :-)

I bought my DEC 3000/300 for $12.50 from a local surplus auction, and
bought a VRC-16 in excellent condition for $15 from another surplus
auction.  Add ~$50 for miscellaneous other parts to get it working
(mostly for a hard drive), and some scrounging around for the rest, and
I consider it a bargain system given it is so stable.

I certainly seem to spend less time cursing at my system than folks I
know with fancy 700+ MHz PeeCee systems... ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa