Subject: Re: why is there no libgcc.so
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/08/2001 11:01:55
On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 04:00:33PM +0100, Olaf Seibert wrote:

> I have seen something like that - I use Apache with php4 module which in
> turn has an imap extension which uses the ssl shared library... and an
> apachctl configtest gives
>
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined symbol "_SSL_library_init" called from
> httpd:/usr/pkg/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20001214/imap.so at
> 0x402ebbc4

No.  This is a *different* bug.

Shared objects that depend on other shared objects *must* be explicitly
linked with them; the build process for your imap.so did not link it with
libSSL, presumably because someone (mistakenly) thought this was okay
because libSSL is linked into the main apache program.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron