Subject: Re: booting adaptec/scsi disk on a 433a
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: chris lanteigne <wd@transient.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/15/2001 17:51:25
At 02:19 PM 2/15/2001 -0800, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 04:32:59PM -0500, Andrew Hobgood wrote:
>
> > Hmm, SRM on my 164LX boots off of an aic7xxx based (AHA2940UW) without
> > any trouble... does SRM for other platforms lack this support?

Andrew
Believe that Compaq did make a firmware update for your particular model
that does boot off the adaptec rather recently.  I know the PWS433A/AU
still does not have a newer firmware from roughly that of a year ago (SRM
"5.7" - even though numbering may not exactly show such, believe it's
labeled as 7.21 or something along those lines) the "5.8" sets if updated
do on certain models boot from the adaptec. Jay Estabrook has mentioned
these sort of things on the alphalinux mailing lists.

>Interesting.  Could be that a later update to the 164LX SRM included this
>support.  I suppose you chould check to see if there is a later SRM for
>the 433a (actually, you'd want 433au firmware -- u == unix) and see if it
>supports booting from the Adaptec SCSI controller (it used to be that only
>AlphaBIOS could boot from the Adaptec SCSI, but that firmware only works
>with Windows NT).

Guess what I said above tends to cover some of those remarks. I could be
wrong *shrug*

~chris