Subject: Re: PLT symbol goodness (was Re: Experiences with Simon's 4.0.2XFree
To: <>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/08/2001 13:09:04
Andrew Hobgood wrote:

> > I'll be churning out some new code in the next day or so, and test away.  There's
> > gotta be a magic link flag out there somewhere.
>
> You think it's just a runtime linker issue?

With this 8-year old Anthro degree, I'm not actually qualified to think such thoughts.
But we know Simon's not having PLT faults...  So it's either a kernel config option or a
runtime linker option.  And according to the PLT trails on port-alpha, something was
changed in the toolchain sometime just before the 1.5 branch to cause this to happen
occasionally with many large and threaded applications on the Alpha; be it pine, mysql,
or gimp, or XFree86 4.  The suggestion (as far as gimp is concerned) is that -Wl,-E fixes
it.

...but I could cook an egg on my 21064 right now, and it's gonna be a while.

> millennium hand and shrimp,
>
> /Andrew

--David