Subject: PLT symbol goodness (was Re: Experiences with Simon's 4.0.2 XFree
To: <>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/08/2001 08:13:49
I was able to do a bit more with it now.

The Matrox still won't fly.  But the S3 ViRGE looks great, and amiwm is a sponge-solid
window manager, much better than twm.  One nice test was lavaps, an app that sends the
NetBSD-amiga X server into la-la land.  The amiwm/xfree4-alpha combo fetched and
compiled tcl, tk, and lavaps, and ran lavaps...  whoops, looks like a pkg bug:  it's
doing the same as the nb-amiga one did.  Anyway, real work can be done, if you're
careful.

I can invoke PLT symbol errors by trying to drag the screen (amiwm...  cool...)
multiple times, but any other window op seems (relatively) stable.  As long as you
have a backdoor open to the machine, you can restart xfree any number of times; but
you'll never get your console back on the local box.

Just a sample of the PLT's:

main program: Undefined PLT symbol "__divlu" (reloc type = 26, symnum = 231)
main program: Undefined PLT symbol "select" (reloc type = 26, symnum = 114)
main program: Undefined PLT symbol "__remlu" (reloc type = 26, symnum = 163)

Here are a couple of pointers to the PLT problem (do a search on mail-index, and read
the book.  It's a bugbear).  I'm new to the whole toolchain thing, but it has to do
with something lurking in the 64-bit ELF format.  First, there's this post from Steven
J. Dovich and a confirmation on its resolution from H. Feyrer (as it applied to gimp):

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2000/03/02/0002.html

I haven't had time yet to compile xfree 4 with the new flags; if you can go faster
than my Alphastation, yer welcome to try.

Second, there's this post from Paul Mather.  Dunno if it works or not; I could have
sworn I had these compats defined.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-alpha/2000/10/18/0004.html

I'll be churning out some new code in the next day or so, and test away.  There's
gotta be a magic link flag out there somewhere.

--David