Subject: Re: Experiences with Simon's 4.0.2 XFree binaries
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/07/2001 09:49:07
...and just to chime in...

I have a Millennium II 8MB PCI (2164w); I'm running 1.5R and a very recent
(Feb/6/01) sup'ped xsrc on an Alphastation 255/233.  There are no compilation
errors in xc (lots of the standard XFree86 warnings, but no errors).  But I
don't even get as far as you do, on the Matrox; the screenmode change never
occurs, and my console is garbaged in a most colorful way.  External net
services still work, though.

I also have an S3 ViRGE VX (old Diamond card), and X starts up just fine, with
the same codebase.  But I can only do a certain number of blits-- window moves
or resizes-- before it locks up.  No zap keys, but only the X process is locked;
external services work fine.

I dunno if this latter problem is twm's fault; I've compiled enlightenment from
pkgsrc and I'll try that tonight.  And this is a pkg issue, I know, but kdebase
bombs in the latest sup'ped pkgsrc with a segmentation fault on the ./configure.

I'll do some testing on this Miata and tincup, next, with a Riva 128, PS 3D30,
and an S3 Trio 64; tho' that latter is my production machine...  :^.

Thanks all, esp. Simon; this is a mighty effort.
--David