Subject: Experiences with Simon's 4.0.2 XFree binaries
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Hobgood <chaos@strange.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/03/2001 14:17:23
hi there!

(caveat: I'm new to NetBSD as a whole, only started running it two nights
ago, but I've been a Linux/Alpha user for 2.5 years... and I'm damned glad
to be away from it. =)

I installed the most recent xfree snapshot from Simon (20010115, I
believe) from netbsd.org, and set up my box to try and get it running.
I've got it set up using wsmouse and wskbd for input, and the mga2164w
driver for output.

When pressing arrow keys on the keyboard, X logs an 'undefined key
behavior 0x0055', and the arrow key events never propagate into X.  also,
keyboard repeat is nonexistent (even though I have it set up in
XF86Config).

Also, I regularly get undefined PLT errors, from everything including
malloc() and others.  running OSF/1 netscape with compat_osf1 is a sure
way to cause it to flake, generate a PLT error, and kill the X server,
leaving my console unusable until the next reboot (X can be restarted from
another terminal, however).

Anyone have any pointers?

millennium hand and shrimp,

/Andrew