Subject: Re: question about the scsi controller on the 3000/300X
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/26/2001 11:28:54
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Ken Wellsch wrote:

=> There appears to be a PROM value (or values) called
=>
=> 	FAST_SCSI_A and FAST_SCSI_B
=>
=> that when set to "ON" (rather than "OFF") does what the tag implies
=> I guess.
=>
=> I don't own a 3k/300 box so I don't know for sure.

There is no FAST_SCSI_{A,B} PROM environment variable on a stock
3000/300.  (I just tried showing and setting it.)  It might be on
3000/400 and up, or on a machine that has the TC SCSI option card
fitted.

=> Depending what the interface oscillator is, that I think affects
=> the top speed (e.g. my VAX 4k/90A also has a 53C94 but uses a 25MHz
=> osc. so 6.25MHz is the top sync rate I think, i.e. 1/4 of osc. value)

The oscillator speed reported for the DEC 3000/300 during boot up is
also 25 MHZ, so, if the above holds, it would rule out 10 MHz fast
operation.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu