Subject: Re: FW: mail servers
To: Antony Wardle <Antony.Wardle@met.co.nz>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/18/2001 16:27:34
On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 11:44:41AM +1300, Antony Wardle wrote:

>  What do people in business use for their mail servers?
>  I am guessing that people currently use Exchange from
>  Microsoft, send mail on unix, tcpip mail on VMS.

While that's certainly a subset, there are a whole lot of other
mailers to choose from on Unix. Alphabetically... exim, postfix, qmail,
smail, zmailer... To name a few.

>  Suggested sites for research?

Type any of the above names into Google.com, and hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Most of the sites are mailer.org, except for smail, which is currently
ftp://ftp.planix.com/pub/Smail/

>  1 Read my email from a web page in a cybercafe anywhere in the world.
>  2 Have email so that users can set up forwards and auto reaplys from a web
>  browser
>  3 Hardware redundancey protection

None of those have to do with the MTA. #1 is a web based MUA, such as IMP
http://horde.org/imp/ - though that's just one example.

#2 - I haven't seen a generic tool for - all custom written ones. Most
MTAs can support ~/.forward files, so it's not too hard to do.

By #3 - do you mean RAID, for disk protection, or do you mean complete
host failure? You can certainly have mail copied to a second server for
redundancy, but you'll need to write some code to keep mailboxes in sync,
etc.

>  4 Read email via a pop client anywhere in the world.

That's not the MTA either - that's a pop server. There are many in
pkgsrc/mail

What's the relation of your questions to NetBSD?

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Although some of you out
there might find a microwave oven controlled by a Unix system an attractive