Subject: Re: unexpected machine checks
To: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
From: Nick <nmanisca@vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/12/2001 19:01:30
On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 03:58:52PM -0800, Ross Harvey wrote:
> That system trap does mean an ECC or parity-type error, but it isn't always
> caused by bad RAM, it can and does happen at times with bogus device access
> caused by things like SW or chipset bugs.  Step one is to see what routine
> is at 0xfffffc0000302c20.

Hmm... I see...

> However, you have a second problem. You really shouldn't even look cross-
> eyed at your box when burning a CD. Don't even touch the keyboard or do
> any network ops, never mind avoiding the encode or decode of mp3's. In
> this, case, it's probably good (for us, anyway) that you did, as that error
> should not happen no matter what. Do you have any history of single-bit
> errors? Vector 620 or 630?

Never had any problems before.  BTW this is a really nice CDR drive, it
has a 2MB buffer... On a PC under various Windows OS's I was never able to
force a buffer underrun no matter what I did.  I really that this hardware
should be able to handle decoding a few mp3's while burning at 4x.

I guess there really isn't anything for me to do at this point, just
wait until it happens again.

Nick