Subject: Re: Question about installing NetBSD on a DEC 3000/300
To: Tom Plagge <tplagge@charybdis.ellipsis.cx>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/05/2001 09:46:08
> It seems from the list archive that NetBSD 1.5 works on the 3000/300 without
> resorting to the serial console, but when I boot the install kernel (I'm using
> the cdhdtape image) it gets through the boot process up until
> scc0 at ioasic0 offset 0x100000
> at which point it gives me
> SWITCHING TO SERIAL CONSOLE!
>
> How can I make it stop doing this?

I run it both ways, serial on a server and graphically on a workstation.

The only way I know of doing it well, is to get it up on serial
console first (I use a VT100 emulating VT420 terminal), and then
recompile the kernel with the TWSCONS config.  That makes for a
nice kernel, and if you are myopic like me (Mr. Magoo syndrome)
you can change the font size to the 30point font, and that makes
a nice console with 1/4 inch letters on a 19'' color monitor!
I love it!  I had to use it twoheaded, i.e. with the color monitor
and the serial terminal to catch what was happening.  But, after
the kernel recompile, it does great!

The kernel compiles in an hour or so (as opposed to 24 hours on
my MVII critter), so it does not take long to do this.  Just
unroll the kernel source tarball, do the config, make depend,
and make, and throw the kernel into the top of the tree, and
reboot.

The process goes something like:

from /usr,  tar -xpzf srcsys.tgz        (check with a tar -tzf to see
                                         exactly where it unrolls, but
                                         I think it unrolls from /usr)

cd /usr/src/sys/alpha/conf
config TWSCONS
cd ../compile/TWSCONS
make depend ; make
mv /netbsd /netbsd.orig
cp netbsd /netbsd.twscons
cp netbsd /netbsd
sync;sync;halt

then boot as usual.

That should get you up on the graphics monitor instead of
the serial terminal.

Bob