Subject: Re: Question about installing NetBSD on a DEC 3000/300
To: None <tplagge@charybdis.ellipsis.cx, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Bucketmouth Frogstump <bucketmouthfrogstump@hotmail.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/05/2001 11:25:09
>It seems from the list archive that NetBSD 1.5 works on the 3000/300
>without
>resorting to the serial console, but when I boot the install kernel (I'm
>using
>the cdhdtape image) it gets through the boot process up until
>scc0 at ioasic0 offset 0x100000
>at which point it gives me
>SWITCHING TO SERIAL CONSOLE!

OK - the basic situation is this ... yes there is support for the 3000/x
series local console, but the INSTALLATION kernel does not have these
features enabled. At the moment you'll have to use a serial console to
install, and rebuild a TCWSCONS configured kernel. At this point you can
even rebuild X from -current sources and have a fully functional little box.
The kernel source from 1.5 is fine for the 3000 series, but you'll need
newer X sources since the patches post-date the 1.5 release. Have a hunt
through the list archives. It's all there.

Actually, on a side note - is there any reason for the install/generic
kernels not to include the TC console stuff?

If someone could give me a push in the right direction, I'd happily wander
off and make a boot image with a TCWSCONS kernel so we poor 3000 owners can
stop draping serial cables all over the place. How are the boot images on
the FTP site built? I'm assuming there's an easy way. :)