Subject: Re: multia boot process (hang, mouse issues, must login before continue)
To: packet ninja <emory@incumbent.org>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/29/2000 00:44:14
packet ninja wrote:

>greetings,
>
>i'm a new NetBSD user and have been playing with the alpha and macppc
>ports, and so far i've really enjoyed it.
>
>i have a problem with my multia however and i'm hoping someone can assist.
>actually, its two things.
>
>first and foremost, the machine will lock up entirely if i plug a mouse
>in, or have one plugged in then boot the machine.
>
>secondly, after it announces where root and swap are on their respective
>partitions, it asks me to hit enter to start /bin/sh.  i do so, then type
>'exit' and it goes about its marry way.
>
>why is that?

Well, for the second issue, it is just booting into single user mode which
is the default.  From the SRM, you need to modify the boot flags to include
the letter a, so:

>>> boot -flags a

will boot multi-user, and you can set it with something rather like:

>>> set boot_osflags a

do a

>>> show boot*

to see the vars that begin with boot and see which one looks the most
appropriate.  (I forget off the top of my head, and I can't drop into
the SRM and finish this email.  ;-)

I am not sure what is going on with the first issue, I have a few
multias [they are off right now, but . . .] and I have never seen
this issue.

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==