Subject: Re: dec 3000 m400
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/06/2000 16:25:41

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/alpha/faq.html#serial-consoles

> There is a 25 pin serial port on the back of the Alpha as well (this
> is tty00 under True'64 Unix) - It is not possible to use this port as
> my serial console???

the SRM treats the MMJ as its serial console, and NetBSD does too.  I'm
not sure if it's possible to change -- I'll check my documentation when
I get home.

> Further more, it was mentioned (somewhere) that the serial code was
> buggy enough that running this machine with a serial console would not
> be so enjoyable.

I never ran into problems on my 3000/400, but I never hit the serial
console heavily.  After the machine is booted, I do everything else over
the network.

    "[N]ow would be a great time for record companies to start releasing
       everything on vinyl."  --  David Wolf, regarding mp3 pirating