Subject: Re: printer supplies
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/03/2000 18:23:24
In message <20001104001655.1C9434@proven.weird.com>, Greg A. Woods writes:
>If a connection doesn't come from a valid mail server (i.e. if it comes
>from an IP listed in the MAPS DUL) then it is by definition trying to
>steal my resources, regardless of how valid or non-spam-like the content
>might be.  This rule *should* go double for servers hosting public lists
>such as the NetBSD mail server(s).

Hmm.  There's an argument for this in the case of the DUL, because it's a list
of dialups *submitted by providers*, as systems that are supposed to use their
relays.

Still, I would hate to be stuck using a defective mail relay when I'm on
the road and my laptop has a perfectly functional SMTP client.

>Such people need to learn that they are not Internet Gods and they just
>can't go about willy nilly breaking rules and assumptions set up in the
>more global context to protect the rights of other users.

Assumptions can be wrong...

-s