Subject: Re: a little pc164 help please
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/03/2000 10:20:33
>> before switching itself off.  which is how it is now: not on, and
>> won't come on.  the current theory is that the power supply (300
>> watts) broke.
>
>Since the pc164 takes an ATX-style connector but doesn't support
>soft-power control, there's a bit of hot-wiring involved to make the
>power supply work. My setup involves an ATX "extension" cable with the
>appropriate power-on line wired to ground.

right.  i did that bit right after i planted the motherboard in the
case.  i extracted pins 14 and 15 (with a pin extractor) from the
plastic chunk that plugs into the motherboard, uncrimped them
somewhat, and attached 1.5 inches of 18 or 20 awg wire to the two pins
which i subsequently reseated.

>What's your setup for this, and might it be failing?

that was one of the first things i checked after it stopped exhibiting
signs of life, but it's fine.  this is low voltage electrical current
that just needs to be grounded here, not fancy wiring that needs to
pass a complex signal like 100 base t.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|