Subject: Re: NetBSD: What do you guys use for Mail?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/20/2000 23:08:43
[ On Wednesday, September 20, 2000 at 20:37:49 (-0400), Dave McGuire wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: NetBSD: What do you guys use for Mail?
>
>   If you're an emacs user, VM (http://www.wonderworks.com/vm/) is very
> nice.  It's written in emacs lisp and runs in an emacs (or xemacs)
> window.  It's highly configurable, can speak POP, and (not
> surprisingly) has an editor startup time of zero, 'cause you're
> already in emacs! :-)

Yes, it's absolutely wonderful!  ;-)

It's fully MIME capable too....

>   If you're not an emacs user, though...don't even think about it. :)

I don't know if I'd go that far.  I think that with the X11 interface
(pop-up and pull-down menus), especially in xemacs (though I've only
ever used it with GNU Emacs), it's probably no harder to learn than any
other similar application.

It would certainly help to know the basics of using emacs to edit text
and how to navigate around windows, buffers, frames, and the minibuffer,
but that's covered fairly well in the online tutorial....

With a few minor patches specific to GNU Emacs I'm now able to have even
better multilingual e-mail handling than Netscape Communicator offers
(VM shows multi-byte characters, such as Japanese in the summary window
whereas communicator still fails to do this properly).  With the next
release of VM I expect GNU Emacs will be fully supported to the extent
that GNU Emacs works at all and that with the next major release of GNU
Emacs (which will be 21.1) that VM will be one of the best mail readers
available anywhere!  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods