Subject: more NetBSD-1.5_ALPHA2 on alpha woes: (1) panic: uvm_anon_add (2) cannot login
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Shepard <shep@lcs.mit.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/11/2000 15:12:06
After I finished installing NetBSD-1.5_ALPHA2 on this DS20E, I got
this panic while trying to come up to multiuser mode:

    uvm_anon_add: can not allocate 656655 anons
    panic: uvm_anon_add
    Stopped in swapctl at   cpu_Debugger+0x4:       ret     zero,(ra)
    db> t
    cpu_Debugger() at cpu_Debugger+0x4
    panic() at panic+0xfc
    uvm_anon_add() at uvm_anon_add+0xbc
    swap_on() at swap_on+0x3bc
    sys_swapctl() at sys_swapctl+0x4bc
    syscall() at syscall+0x1dc
    XentSys() at XentSys+0x50
    --- syscall (271, netbsd.sys_swapctl) ---
    --- user mode ---

I disabled the swapctl call in /etc/rc.d/swap1 and that got me around
that panic.  But now I cannot login.

I had set a passwd for both root and toor (toor is the /bin/sh root
login) but I cannot login as either.  I powercycled, booted to single
user, fsck'd and tried moving all the dotfiles in /root away.  I still
have the same problem, I cannot login:

    starting local daemons:.
    Updating motd.
    Starting cron.
    Mon Sep 11 14:42:39 EDT 2000

    NetBSD/alpha (garlic) (console)

    login: root
    Password:
    Last login: Mon Sep 11 14:31:54 2000 on console

    NetBSD/alpha (garlic) (console)

    login:
    Password:
    Login incorrect
    login: root
    Password:
    Last login: Mon Sep 11 14:42:52 2000 on console

    NetBSD/alpha (garlic) (console)

    login: toor
    Password:
    Last login: Mon Sep 11 14:53:34 2000 on console

    NetBSD/alpha (garlic) (console)

    login:

I would guess that this is not a /bin/sh or a /bin/csh problem since
both seem to work in singleuser, and neither root nor toor login works.

			-Tim Shepard
			 shep@lcs.mit.edu