Subject: Re: NetBSD on newer Alpha boxes? ... Thanks!
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Bolo <bolo@cs.wisc.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/02/2000 14:04:33
> I'm currently looking at picking up a new, affordable (read non-DEC)
> Alpha system.  I've been looking around at the NetBSD/Alpha WWW
> pages, the FAQ, and the mailing list archive.  I've also been
> looking around at various Alpha reseller sites.

Thank you all for the various information about the LX164 type
Alpha systems.   After learning about some of the difficulties
those particular systems have,  I've decided not to purchase one.

However, this prompted me to look at used DEC hardware as a better
alternative.  The typical DEC system is built like a brick outhouse
and is probably a good buy, even used.   Currently I'm looking at
a 500 au  or 600 au box with combined AlphaBIOS/SRM+ in firmware,
and the ev56 chip with the BW extensions.

Thanks!
Bolo