Subject: NetBSD on newer Alpha boxes?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Bolo <bolo@cs.wisc.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/29/2000 15:43:43
I'm currently looking at picking up a new, affordable (read non-DEC)
Alpha system.  I've been looking around at the NetBSD/Alpha WWW
pages, the FAQ, and the mailing list archive.  I've also been
looking around at various Alpha reseller sites.

After looking at the specifications for the mother-boards in some
boxes, as well as the peripherals, it seems that NetBSD on a newer,
current production, reasonably fast, inexpensive alpha is something
that doesn't exist.  Or maybe it does, and I'm just not putting
the right pieces-parts together to know that it is really supported.

To give a concrete example, I'm looking at one of Microway's
21164 bases systems.  They have an LX164 MB (or perhaps a variant
for the 8MB cache systems).  They have some unknown (to me) SCSI
controller, video card, and ethernet that I'm trying to track down
at the moment.  The NetBSD pages imply that a older version of
those boards are supported, but not the current models.  I'm waiting
on Microway to see what boards they actually provide, instead of
generic "xxx card" listings to see what is supported.  The big problem
here seems to be the ITS3140U scsi controller.

I've also looked at some other Alpha resellers, and the condition
seems similar ... random parts that appear not supported by NetBSD,
which only seems to really run well on hardware produced by DEC.
I have no problem with DEC hardware, I would love to have some!
But, I can't afford it.

So, is this Microway system supported by NetBSD?  Or, is there some
reseller of modern Alpha hardware that will supply a system that
has the components needed to run NetBSD on it?

In other words, I'm in the market for an new Alpha box that runs
NetBSD and haven't had much luck finding one.  Do you have any
recommendations?

Thanks for any info!
Bolo -- Josef T. Burger