Subject: cdrecord on DEC 3000/300
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/25/2000 19:06:52
Has anyone successfully used cdrecord (from pkgsrc) on a DEC
3000/300?  I am thinking of getting a CD-RW unit for home use, but I
want to make sure the hardware can handle it before I do.

I recently borrowed a CD-R unit (Smart and Friendly 2006+), but neither
cdrecord nor the DEC 3000/300 seemed to like it much.  (The bootup SCSI
test failed with a 160 error!)  Cdrecord generated SCSI errors in the
console, and generally wouldn't work.  Cdrdao worked somewhat (I could
get it to list a TOC of sorts), and I was able to extract audio using
cdparanoia.  The S&F 2006+ is somewhat old, so I am hoping to borrow a
Plextor 12/4/32 SCSI CD-RW to try that, too.

I am using NetBSD 1.5_ALPHA2 built from a very recent SUP.  I don't
*think* it was a termination/SCSI problem to blame.

So, are there any DEC 3000/300 folks using CD-RW units successfully?

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa