Subject: machine checks on pc164
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/24/2000 01:18:38
Folks,

Twice in the last couple of days I've had my pc164 panic with a machine
check:

	unexpected machine check:

	    mces    = 0x1
	    vector  = 0x660
	    param   = 0xfffffc0000006060
	    pc      = 0xfffffc0000300640
	    ra      = 0xfffffc000036600c
	    curproc = 0x0

	panic: machine check

From the archives, it seems that this is a hardware-type problem
(especially the reference to the "vector = 0x660").

Both times when this has happened, I've been restoring files from an
Exabyte 8500 (attached to an Adaptec 1542) to a IBM IDE disk (I've only
had IDE disks on this box for a week or so now).  The latest time, I got
the machine check almost immediately after I started netscape, before
the window even appeared.  I can't remember exactly what I was doing the
first time, but I think the circumstances were similiar.

If it is a hardware problem it seems a little too repeatable...

Any ideas?
NetBSD Sales, Support and Service:  http://www.wasabisystems.com/