Subject: Re: DEC 3000/300 error with 1.4.2
To: T. Martin <catfish@alltel.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/21/2000 22:47:30
T. Martin writes:

> Ok so it tells me that my firmware is to old.
> Is this really the prob or could something else be the issue.
> I'm using bootp on a Linux box and installed NetBSD sucessfully to two
> other Decstations identical to it. I don't have the Firmware version on
> those atm.

The firmware should be the problem.  AFAIK older versions of the SRM
console do not have an easy method of determining the MAC address of the
boot devices.  Hence the need to hard-code it into the netboot image.

> Where can I get a newer firmware and how would you go about getting it
> into the thing to flash it as it don't have an OS or floppy only the LAN
> to boot off of.

You should be able to find updated firmware on the DEC (now Compaq) ftp
server.  Something like:
	ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/v5.8/dec3000/

You should be able to boot (via MOP) the .sys file and update.  I'm not
sure whether you can use BOOTP or not as well.  (or do I have this backwards?)

In the interim you could use the web based netboot generator and boot
via the hard-coded address method.  (should be on the NetBSD/alpha page)

-Andrew