Subject: DEC 3000/300 error with 1.4.2
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: T. Martin <catfish@alltel.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/21/2000 21:25:16
 Hi all,
 I aquired another DEC 3000/300 today and its not responding as the other
two when I try to use bootp.
Heres the error and I don't see it covered in the INSTALL.html.

>>> boot ez0
INIT-S-CPU...
INIT-S-ASIC...
INIT-S-MEM...
INIT-S-CXT...
INIT-S-SCC...
INIT-S-NI...
INIT-S-SCSI...
INIT-S-ISDN...
AUDIT_BOOT_STARTS ...
AUDIT_BOOT_REQ
Host server IP address is 10.0.0.4
AUDIT_BSERVER_FOUND
AUDIT_LOAD_BEGINS

AUDIT_LOAD_DONE

NetBSD/alpha 1.4.2 Network Bootstrap, Revision 1.7
(toddpw@chewie.toddpw.net, Mar 4 05:25:20 PST 2000)

VMS PAL rev: 0x100010530
OSF PAL rev: 0x20123
Switch to OSF PAL code succeeded.

Boot flags: 0,0

boot: boot device name does not contain ethernet address.

Boot device name was: "BOOTP 0 5 0 0 0 2 CORE-IO"

Your firmware may be too old to network-boot NetBSD/alpha,
or you might have to hard-code an ethernet address into
your network boot block with setnetbootinfo(8).

?05 HLT INSTR
  PC= 00000000.20000038 PSL= 00000000.00000007

Ok so it tells me that my firmware is to old.
Is this really the prob or could something else be the issue.
I'm using bootp on a Linux box and installed NetBSD sucessfully to two
other Decstations identical to it. I don't have the Firmware version on
those atm.

Where can I get a newer firmware and how would you go about getting it
into the thing to flash it as it don't have an OS or floppy only the LAN
to boot off of.

Thanks
Terry