Subject: Re: AlphaStation 250 4/266
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Nino Margetic <nino@well.ox.ac.uk>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/08/2000 13:57:47
> > problem was the chassis fan was disconnected.  Apparently it's got
> > some sort of sensor that won't let the machine power up without the
> > fan.
>
> Just what I was going to say... the fan could also have gone bad, rather
> than being disconnected. We've had to replace the chassis fan on several
> Alphastation 200/250 systems, which showed the same behaviour.

*** Thanks for the info. I am away from the box until Thu, but I do recall
that the chasis fan was rotating (tho' I can't say if it was rotating fast
enough). Is this a "standard" fan or do I need a "special" one? Is there a
way to test it given that I have a single box of this kind??

--Nino

PS The above "standard" and "special" terms are used in a fairly loose
(i.e. "pc-hardware == cheap" and "DEC-proprietary == expensive" type)
sense...